June 27, 2012

Concrete


 Have been trying a few experiments in concrete with my large installation pieces. Here are some moulds I made. FIrst I made the pieces from clay and made a cast in plaster. Then filled with concrete. I have added foam inside the pieces so as not to be so heavy and hopefully a bit stronger structurally. I have also put some nails in so that they can be attached to a wall though I think that may have to be thought through a bit more.

So here are the moulds, I made three different sizes and waited about a week till the concrete was completely dry.





Chipping away at the moulds. After a bit and a whole lotta mess I got the cast pieces out. 

  



As you can see here, they are not perfect and I will have to do some more experimentation. But overall I think the exercise was a success. Next time I will make a two part mould and a few other things different that will make them work better.





Growing in the wild.....
  

Not so wild.....


This is where I would ideally like to install these pieces. On a beautiful concrete wall. So its like the fungus has grown out from the concrete and taken on the elements of the wall. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment